Welcome to Discourse

I’m working on some Asian monk’s robes for a story idea I want to create. I am thinking asymmetry could be very helpful. But maybe that is actually covered by the base used? If I had a one armed pattern, would it create just one arm-tube?

I was able sync the character with DAZ and get easy access to the OBJ file (saved the sim folder on my desktop). I love that it is Pre-UV’d, no matter what crazy pattern I make!

This is why I want to get this software in the hands of other people. I want to see the stories you will create.

Asymmetry is a good feature request. If it doesn’t show up soon, don’t let me forget about it.

I’ll keep a list of ideas. I don’t want to create some crazy-overload though. As it’s just the beginning, I’m sure you have plenty of your own ideas.

Is the grab feature not working in the first release? I have not had any luck with it yet.

Don’t hesitate to share your ideas here. Other users may have their own takes on your ideas and sharing and discussion often leads to good things. On the other hand, don’t expect to see them implemented right away - that would lead to crazy overload.

Please share your ideas either as new topic on the Discussion category or adding to the clothing design topic already there if there are in line with it.

The grab feature should be working, but I bet you are running into trouble with the “smart” auto-pause feature that isn’t always so smart. Grab will only work if the simulation is running. You also need to select the grab tool (the Fist in the upper left toolbar). If you see a Play button down in the transport controls that means that the simulation is paused. You need to either click that button to start running the simulation again, or you need to hit the spacebar (based on Youtube shortcut keys) to start playing. I find myself using the spacebar a lot to start and stop the simulation when experimenting with things.

Grab is also likely to be troublesome if you are using a very large model (like in your post above). It will work - but the large model will lead to very low framerates and once the framerate falls below ~20 FPS the UI can start to feel awkward.

Got it! Didn’t realize it had to be running. Thanks!

Your Patron page was what I shared. Not your code! Would never do that.
https://forum.reallusion.com/349683/Interested-in-clothing-design-Check-this-out

So is the mesh double-layered to give it thickness?

EDIT:
Answered myself here. I was able to separate the two layers by deleting the edge loops, so I had two separate pieces of cloth.

I’m basically converting it for use with a different physics engine, and the double layer kind of overloaded it. But, issue solved! :slight_smile:

If you can make this work end-to-end, I would be happy to give you the option to export a single-sided mesh to avoid this extra step. I’m very curious to see if/how using these models with a different physics engine will work.

Getting close. Just need to create a grayscale weight map for the PhysX engine in iClone. Anita (Tarampa Studios) and I are in a race to see who gets it working in iClone first. Once I have the steps, it can be done very quickly.

Because iClone is basically a game engine (realtime), it works best to only have parts of the mesh affected by physics, hence the weightmap. So like just the skirt and big sleeves would end up being under physics control. The torso would just rely on regular weighting to the bones. The weightmap allows a grayscale transition from fully under bone control, to fully under physics control. I’ll have it working later today.

Now to figure out the UV’s… But a bike ride first!

I logged in via Patreon and clicked on the direct link above but it tells me I don’t have access to that topic so I can’t get to the download link.

Good to see some familiar faces here.

Hi WarLord, It took it a few hours to recognize me through the system. Check back once-in-a-while.

Now It’s a three-way race to get this into iClone! :slight_smile:

Yep… that was it. I’ve got access now. Thanks Rampa… you’re the reason I’m here. Wouldn’t have known of this without your post. I basically use DAZ to export things… not really handy with it so I’ll be looking for your tutorial!!!

Read through the DAZ Integration post that Jim wrote up. For use outside of DAZ, you only need to use DAZ for the initial setup.

When AT installs, it puts a new menu in DAZ. That menu allows you to send the animation and read the cloth. The “animation” can be just your figure. It doesn’t need actual animation. When you do the export that way, it asks you where you want to save it. Where you choose is where your AT creation is written. I chose a folder on my desktop. It writes out an OBJ, which you can then open in any software you like; Max, in your case, I believe. :smile:

You must do this step, as the path to that DAZ character is needed to write the cloth file to. Otherwise it does write, or I have not found where.

It will overwrite each time you save the cloth, so rename the OBJ if your going to keep it in the same folder and make more.

Amazingly easy and fast program. The pipeline to non-standard human for iClone was straightforward with no problems. Daz-AF-Daz-Max-3dXchange-iClone. It would have taken me longer to make this simple shirt in Marvelous Designer than it took to go throught the entire pipeline with this tool. All this without having to dig into documentation is fantastic. Do have to weight it and uv map it but that’s fairly standard in any pipeline.

art2iclone

Shouldn’t a topology that is denser or that overlaps another topology be stiffer? Seams in clothing do tend to be stiffer than the rest of the garment for example.

Yes. Sort-of, anyway. :smile:

You actually can make the cloth stiffer by having a less dense mesh. It means there are fewer hinges, basically. The issue I’m running into is that there is a lack of hinges altogether that seems to have jumped-in a bit randomly.

Yeah, thanks, I said that backwards - less dense is stiffer but I suppose layered fabrics and hems are stiffer because they either don’t harmonize with the other layer and/or are less dense.

I think I just figured out why it is giving me an issue. I just created a separate iClone section, as this issue may not pertain to anything else. So I’ll post it in there.

Jim, feel free to move all my previous iClone postings, if you would like.

Turned out it was not a mesh issue. Each section was getting its own material, and when I applied the physics weight map to adjacent materials, they were not functioning as one like I expected.

Using th atlas export from AT, and deleting all but one material solved the issue. That’s why I deleted my previous entries. They ended up being erroneous and misleading.

So now I can go ahead and get everything into iClone properly, which I will document in the iClone integration section. :smile: