Welcome to Discourse

First of all, Congrats Jim! Your application is really all you showed through the previous videos in youtube.

About machines, I’m still not prepared for the full potential of Tailor. Anyway, I decided gives it a try and on my desktop I7 2600K 3.4GHZ Mem 12GB and GeForce GTS 450, it runs just a little more slowly than in your presentation, what makes me happy. But in my work machine a notebook a Notebook I7 2670QM 2.2GHZ Mem 8GB and Geforce GT 555M it runs really slowly but still with results better than others Cloth simulators I’ve tested with Daz. So I guess its a positive result and considering I have plans to change my Machine next year, That limitation should not be an issue.

And for the last, if you have plans to work a version for machines with poor resources, that would be welcome too.

We all played with rubber band powered airplanes as kids!

This is interesting. When I push two edges tightly together, it almost seems like they “glue”.

When I look at the particles, there are not very many yellow edge particles at the join. Although the tiny ones are still there.

join 00join 01

Hi everyone! Finally getting a chance to play with this wonderful plugin! My computer is running Win7, i7 2600 (first generation of i7), 16g ram and gtx970-4g. I am seeing amazing speed in the simulations, as fast as Jim’s videos using the gtx1080. No lag time at all. I also loaded it up on my laptop which is running Win10 and a gtx1050. Didn’t see any difference between the two in performance.

I want to play with some other figures and do some animation. I am here everyday checking out the posts to see what others are doing. Hopefully I will have something to share.

I really hope that this is no need to UV map the meshes. They should come out in a very artist friendly form. The weight-mapping is a whole separate issue that I will need some more education from you iClone users before I can say anything useful on it.

I will be stuck on a couple of very long plane flights over the next couple of weeks with only my old Macbook laptop which has a very similar config to your notebook. We’ll see if this manages to inspire me to make this a little bit nicer.

You’re not imagining this and the lack of yellow edge particles is the clue. This is a flaw in the current clothing model where internal gaps in the same piece of cloth that are around the particle size (~1cm) will show up in the mesh, but the underlying simulation model will be welded together. Making this go away is either a bug fix or a very reasonable feature request. Unfortunately, it is not a quick fix.

This is great to hear! I look forward to seeing what you build.

So lowering gravity can result in some quite wonderful results! :slight_smile:at gravity

1 Like

This is a render made in DAZ Studio using a gown created in Artful Physics Tailor. I think it turned out well, the draping, and hope to be able to be able to tailor clothing in the future.

Madonna & Child

John, that is beautiful!! And the draping is lovely and natural!

1 Like

Thanks Mr. Rampa. I am blender user trying cloth simulation in blender that is not to my satisfaction. Have you tried make human characters for cloth simulation. If so, Pl. explain on methods used. Mr. Jim can develop this as a addon for cloth simulation in blender like manuel bastioni’s chararacter creation addon.
Thanks.

This is a plugin for Daz Studio, not for Blender or Unity or iclone. Some people are choosing to integrate the cloth into those programs but I believe Jim said at one point that he meant this to be for DS.

Yes, Jim said DAZ only 1st and then possibly expansion to other SW. It looks to by primarily intended to create clothing that properly responds to physics dynamics in DAZ Studio. However, once in DAZ Studio, DAZ Studio has a proper and free pipeline to other 3rd party SW.

Hard part though is designing and creating the Artful Physics Tailor SW to easily good clothing easily that responds properly to physics.

Here is what I have said about this topic on the artfulphysics.com website - which I probably need to make more visible…

There are two ways that I see Artful Physics being used in the future. One is working with existing 3d modeling and rendering engines to provide clothing and other soft physics support. The other is more of a stand-alone tool that can deliver unique interactive and real-time experiences both on the desktop and through VR/AR.

I chose Daz Studio and the Genesis 3 based figures as the first existing tool to integrate with. The fact that Daz Studio is available for free is certainly one reason for this choice. I am also a fan of the quality, customizability and strong user community built around the Genesis figures. It was important to pick a single base figure model to focus on for an initial release, and I couldn’t come up with a better choice.

The integration with Daz Studio is a small collection of scripts whose source code is included. Most of the interchange is based around standard 3d file formats. Simulated cloth is exported as an .obj file that can be used with any 3d tool and animation frames are exported as a sequence of obj files to capture point positions for the frames. If Daz Studio had decent support for pc2 files, that would be used instead.

I’m 99% sure that this particular limitation will be one of the first ones to be removed. However, there are so many different directions to go from here that I’m looking to the explicit and implicit feedback from early patrons to help me figure out which is the most promising next step to take.

1 Like

Lovely! Thanks so much for sharing.

Tailor just got a mention on 80Level!

1 Like

Looks like the group just hit triple digits! Hopefully we’ll see a new release pretty soon. I’m really looking forward to testing the pants model. :slight_smile:

I just want Jim to be a little more communicative. I have asked him to please touch base with us at least once per month for an update…even if it’s to tell us he has been sick or too busy with life to work on the software. We are all donating into this project so I feel we need some communication.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes